Thursday, June 6, 2013

Love, out of the bubble.

When I was pint-sized (or even more pint-sized than I am) and living in the land of wood and water, I remember visiting orphanages in Kingston at least once a month with my parents.

We would go through our closets and bring out clothes we don't wear, go through our toys and bring out toys we no longer use and give those clothes and toys to the kids at the orphanage.
My parents had a love for serving the underprivileged like no one I had ever seen (but I know that my opinion of my parents is very biased).
One thing that I remember feeling is unworthy. Even as a child, certain feelings stick with you forever.

What did I do to be blessed with two loving parents? Nothing.
I did nothing and I knew that I did nothing. I knew, as well, that these kids did nothing to be in the situation that they were in.
But you know what else stuck with me? Their gratitude. 
Those beautiful little faces were probably more happy to see us than they were to get toys and clothes.
I remember always feeling really sad when we left. I wanted to bring everyone back to the house with us. I wanted to play games with them; I wanted to have 20 brothers and sisters.
But, alas, this could not be.
However, a seed was planted.
Ever since I was a miniature version of myself, I've wanted to adopt. Ever since I saw those children, it's been etched in my mind to make sure that regardless of whether or not I'm married--- I want to adopt at least one child (but more than one would be ideal).
My promise to myself is (unless my life just absolutely canNOT allow it), I want to adopt a child by the time I am 34. 
This post could actually go on forever because I love talking about adoption so much.
But I won't do that.
I will say, though, that I have a lot of friends who have adopted children or friends who have adopted brothers and/or sisters. It's beautiful to see this other form of blended families.

Adoption is such a beautiful thing. You have chosen to look outside of yourself and your natural family to add someone to your family. 
You've given hope to someone who may have been overlooked or left without a family.
You have a chance to be a parent and experience all of the wonders of parenting.

I genuinely cannot wait to adopt. If I had my way, I'd have babies from every race.
I (obviously) don't know if I'll ever get married, but if I do, I hope to be able to adopt a teenager, because they are the most overlooked when it comes to adoption. 
Whenever I get into a relationship (regardless of how early), I make sure that the guy knows that I am GOING to adopt. I don't care if we're not even thinking about marriage---If he doesn't want to adopt, then that's a deal breaker. (Yes, this makes me look crazy. Sue me.)
I honestly (at this point) don't care whether or not I give birth my own children, because I am so aware of the fact that there are millions of children around the world, and in this country, who are without a home (but this of course could change...I might eventually have a strong desire to see my own seed).
All I know, is--- if I can take one child out of a potentially terrible situation, I would change their life forever.
And that would be enough for me.

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment