Friday, October 18, 2013

This post goes from "important" to "trivial," so you can pretty much stop reading after the first part.

#1. Malala.

   If you haven't seen the ABC 20/20 Unbreakable  special on Malala Yousafzai, you little fatheads need to click that link and you need to watch it!
   I first heard about Malala a little while ago, before the tragedy that made her famous. I heard about a smart, strong, outspoken young woman who was fighting for her right to education in Pakistan. 

   Malala, if you didn't know, is incredibly outspoken and so driven. She's also super young- she turned 16 this past July. In her place of residence in Pakistan (the Swat Valley), the Taliban had banned girls from attending school and getting an education. While many of us (probably myself included) may have sulked at home because of the Taliban's restriction, Malala went out and promoted education for girls. She began at the ripe young age of about 12 (cray) writing a blog about living under Taliban rule and did a documentary with the New York Times. She was the voice of so many girls who may have been afraid to speak out against the atrocity that she was facing at home. Malala never allowed the Taliban to stop her from learning and getting an education (because she knows how powerful knowledge is!). 
   If you also didn't know, last year the Taliban attempted to assassinate her because of her outspokenness. She was shot in the head, sparking a global outrage. I remember reading about Malala on CNN after she was shot and I legitimately freaked out. I was so upset, because I felt like Malala was my little outspoken sister or cousin or something, and I supported and loved her outspokenness. I prayed for this precious 15 year old, because I knew that we needed her strong voice in this world. I'm not sure for how long she was in critical condition, but when I heard the good news- that she would be okay- I was so happy. 
   Malala has been called "The Bravest Girl in the World," and she probably is one of the bravest.
   After the Taliban attempted to take her life, she didn't cower and hide, she stood up and allowed the widespread news of her almost-assassination to be a pulpit from where she would speak to the world about the importance of educating women.
She's so fantastic.
   We so desperately need more young women like the precious Malala. She is cut from quite a special cloth, but I think that so many of us can be courageous like her. Educating women is super, super important and I don't think that enough of us understand that (or care enough). And we (especially if you're a woman) should fight for the rights of women everywhere. 
Women are extraordinary, if ya'll don't know. Men are, too, of course. But because so many countries are founded on these extreme patriarchal views, the rights and voices of women get squeeeeezed out. I'm not okay with this.
You go, Malala! I'm totally buying her book.

I Am Malala

#2. Allergies.

  Since I mentioned my allergies a few posts ago, I figured I'd keep you updated with what is going on with that.
So, funny story (not really), I'm actually allergic to everything (like, real life allergic to everything).
I did finally go to the doctor to see why in the world I wake up with my skin looking like the outside of a Ferrero Rocher chocolate ball.

this.

So, the doctor administered a series of tests, including surface skin tests and shots.


This many shots, to be exact. I took this picture.

So, when they were putting all of these things on me and poking me with sharp objects, I said to the nurse (not even kidding), "Wouldn't it be funny if I'm allergic to all of these things?"

The answer is no. No it would not be funny.

This is what happened, you guys:





You see how every number-spot has a bump? Yeah. I still have scars from that test (actual scars, not just emotional ones).

   So, the reality is that I'm allergic to everything (including Benadryl and Zyrtec, btw) because I'm stressed. The doctor told me that stress alters your immune responses and, if you get stressed out a lot, it will negatively impact your health (and apparently make you allergic to the cat you've had for seven years). I don't...know what stress feels like, probably because I always try to pretend that I'm not stressed. But apparently I am very stressed (which could also explain insomnia...although, who really knows at this point?). And until my stress is under control, I will probably keep having allergic reactions.
So, instead of Benadryl, I'll paint. Instead of Zyrtec, I'll write poetry (which I have to do anyway for a Poetry writing class/workshop I'm taking) and hopefully I will start consistently looking like a normal person again (whatever that is). 
Maybe my body is telling me that I need to pursue my dreams (always gotta throw something about dreams in there) and stop worrying about this place! 

#3. Lazyface.

   I'm wearing makeup even less now. Because SCREW MAKEUP IT TAKES TOO LONG. I think that although my makeup fast wasn't the end-all be-all for my self-security, it made me more comfortable with my face. And it also made me more comfortable with waking up 10-15 minutes later than I usually wake up (I don't put on that much makeup, I just take my time putting it on) and I never need a good excuse to wake up later. So, I have worn makeup probably twice in the past two weeks and it feels wonderful. Plus, I feel like my face can breathe and washing my face doesn't become a scrubbing mission.

Seriously, try washing off waterproof eyeliner and mascara. 
It feels like doing this.

So, I'm feeling better and more comfortable with the no makeup thing. If I keep doing it, maybe eventually I'll actually love it. BUT I DO LOVE THE EXTRA SLEEP THO!

Here's a shameless selfie, because it's Friday and I can:

#nomakeup #seriously #yesfilter #hairlookincray 

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment