Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I never do this but...

Last night I made a thing. 
And it was a yummy thing. 
And I'm going to share how I made the thing.

Stuffed Yellow Pepper

Ingredients:

1 yellow bell pepper (the bigger the better)
1/2 cup of quinoa (uncooked)
1/4 cup of beans (black or pinto!)
1/2 of a...handful??? of diced tomatoes
2 eggs
2 slices of fresh mozzarella 
Seasoning (I used garlic salt, ground black pepper, crushed red pepper and table salt, all to taste)

Step 1:
Prep:
Cut the yellow bell pepper in half and take out all of the seedy bits so that the two halves appear to be two oddly shaped bowls. Take a tomato, cut it in half, cut that half in half...Dice it!

Step 2:
Cook quinoa until it is ready. The best way to cook quinoa is- for every cup of quinoa, cook it in 2 cups of water. (So...1/2 cup of quinoa to 1 cup of water, for you math wizards) Sometimes you may need to add a smidge more water...because quinoa is weird. I cooked my quinoa with some of the seasonings. And just cook it on medium-high heat until all of the water is absorbed (which could take a while, FYI).

Step 3: 
(While the quinoa is cooking) Fry two eggs sprinkled with salt and black pepper. I like mine over-easy, so that's how I fried them last night. I also used the remaining oil to heat up the tomatoes.

Step 4:
Heat the beans up (microwaving them for, like, 45 seconds will do the trick)! And then, when the quinoa is cooked, mix the two (beans + quinoa) together. At this time, you can also preheat the oven to about 375° (F)

Step 5:
Stuff the peppas! 
I lined the bottom of the peppers with the diced tomatoes and then I spooned in the quionoa/bean mix and then I topped it with the egg and then I topped the egg with the slice of mozerella. *MAKE SURE* that when  you spoon in the quinoa/bean mix, you leave a little bit of space for the egg and mozzarella so that it's not just pouring over...unless you just like living on the edge.

Step 6:
Put the stuffed bell pepper halves on a metal pan and pop it in the oven for about 7 minutes. Just enough time for the cheese to get nice and melty and for the pepper to get a nice grilled taste.

Step 7:
Ruthlessly consume the deliciousness that you just made (it may be hot, though...so maybe you should be sort of careful).

Step 8:
Blog about it and then feel really awkward about blogging about it because you never write down recipes.

Bon appétit!

xoxo.




No comments:

Post a Comment