Monday, September 16, 2013

OKAY.

   So, I haven't watched the "Miss America" Pageant in...probably at least 5 or 6 years. Not because I really want to and I just forget, but because I just forget it even exists altogether- until I hear about it afterwards.
Well, this morning on my usual Bus Route (public transportation is the bees knees, y'all), I was catching up on news events on my CNN app and I heard that Nina Davuluri won Miss America.
I thought it was so amazing that she was the first "Miss America" winner from Indian-descent and I wanted to say, "good job, America!"
And then, AND THEN I heard about all of the uproar over her winning the title because she is Indian American.
Apparently, a bunch of idiots people took to twitter to complain about Miss. Davuluri not being "American" because she's from Indian descent (which is stupid, because with this logic NO ONE is American, except for Native Americans...and even they were nomads who migrated here...sooo, technically no one).  
Nina said, "I always viewed myself as first and foremost American."
There are plenty of people in this country (aka: pretty much everyone) who have ancestors from other countries.
People have said some absolutely repulsive idiotic bigot-laced stupid comments, in reference to Davuluri's win and I can't even believe that those things are even thought by anyone.

   People (many of whom were surely dropped on their head as a baby) made reference to Davuluri's win being "inappropriately" close to 9/11...as if we should be racially insensitive to people of Indian/Middle-Eastern descent because of that.
"Yeah, let's be racist toward EVERYONE who looks Middle-Eastern... because 9/11!"

How stupid.

(It's important to note that the MAJORITY of twitter users are between the ages of 18-29; this makes me wonder about my generation.)

Someone said "This is America, not India."

This is America, not Ireland.
This is America, not Japan.
This is America, not England.
This is America, not Africa.
This is America, not Spain.
This is America, not Peru.
This is America, not Barbados.
This is America, not Bangladesh.

Um, obviously this is America you pea brained imbeciles silly people.

That statement ("This is America, not _____.") can be said to pretty much anyone. If you ask a Caucasian person where there family is from, they may say "My family is Irish and Italian," or something like that.

BUT THEY'RE AMERICAN.

Like Nina! Like me!

I'm from Jamaican descent, but I have my papers and my passport and my SSN... I'm a Jamaican-American.

As an American citizen, Nina has every right to every privilege that any other American has, including winning the "Miss America" pageant.

What do Americans look like?

They look like you. They look like me. They are black, white, brown, beige, eggshell, apricot...whatever! That's what makes this country amazing and colorful!
 All the different foods, cultures, music and clothing makes this country what it is! 

Racism is just something that I will never understand.

LOOK AT NINA, you guys. She's stunning
She looks like a "Miss America" to me.


Why would you ever want to waste your time hating someone solely based on their race?

If a white person is rude to you, don't hate all white people. ONE white person was rude to you.
If a black person rear-ends your car, don't hate all black people. ONE black person rear-ended your car.
If a hispanic person...
If an Asian person...
If a Middle-Eastern person...

THE ACTS OF ONE OR A FEW DO NOT DEFINE AN ENTIRE RACE/ETHNICITY. 

JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS DIFFERENT FROM YOU DOESN'T MAKE THEM LESS HUMAN OR INFERIOR.

JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS _______ DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY THINK LIKE THE ________ PERSON/PEOPLE THAT YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH.

Srsly, I have no idea why this is a difficult concept.

In my opinion, it takes much more effort to be a racist person than it does to just accept each other.

I'm incredibly happy for Miss Nina Davuluri. What an honor it must be to be the first Indian-American "Miss America." She's beautiful and I think that it's amazing that she won (and I think it's even more sweet that she did a Bollywood dance routine for the talent portion).
Sweeeet! (I love Bollywood)

I will say, though, that the fact that she won shows that we have gotten somewhere. Not where I wish we were or where we should be, but we're somewhere.
I hope to see Indian-American women taking home the "Miss America" title plenty more times.
I love being a woman. Women of every race and ethnicity are beautiful and everyone's beauty should be celebrated (super-cheesy, but I believe it)!

      
  


Girls are amazing and being racist is stupid (make sure to teach your kids that).

xoxo.


No comments:

Post a Comment