Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sex sells.

This is a post from my old blog that I wanted to move here:


Yesterday, I went to an open audition at my educational institution for the news anchor position.
(Side note: I will probably not get the position because I said "Today's NBC Show," instead of "NBC's Today Show." This is laughable. I am okay with that.)
Anyway, while I was at this audition I was a little bit confused.
The attire of many of the ladies standing in line with me was, what I would consider, clubwear and a blazer.
Now, I don't frequent clubs, nor do I consider myself a "sexy-dresser" (i.e: Aubrey O'Day). I may be Prudy Mcpruderson when it comes to some things, but I am no Amish girl when it comes to attire.
I was just confused as to why some girls thought that short a bandage dress (Let me Google that for you) would be a good idea to wear to...a news anchor audition.
Looking around made me almost instantly self conscious.
"Do I look too boring?" I pondered deeply in my modestly dressed mind.
"Maybe I too should have worn sky high stilettos. Maybe I too should have thrown on my Victoria's Secret push-up bra." (I say this because NO female could really be as perky as some of these girls, without some "help.")
I probably looked like a school teacher to many of these girls. My hair was in a tight bun and I wore loose-fitting black slacks and a blazer on top of a cheetah print shirt (bland cheetah print, I promise).
All jokes aside, in the back of my head I really WAS self conscious.
When two girls showed up to the audition after me, I literally turned to my cousin and said, "They look like mini-Kardashians." (Mini- because they were quite short.)
Soon thereafter, another girl walked in with her friend. This particular girl was very pretty; however, her dress fell only a few inches short of her "danger zone" and if her derrière was much larger, I would have wondered to myself, "What exactly AM I auditioning for?"
I consider myself a fairly sociable person. I don't usually have trouble making friends or speaking to strangers, but these girls made me feel very out of place.
I didn't speak much to any of them. I pretty much only spoke to my cousin and made small talk with the one guy in the line.
These girls sounded like Barbie-dolls to me. So...perfect. Perfectly boring.

"Oh my goodness, Jill! I totally love those shoes!"

"Susaaaaaaan! Did you get highlights?! They look a-mazing!"

"Ahhh! Tina I haven't seen you in, like, tha-ree weeks! Is Mr. Teacher's class kicking your butt too?"

"Oh.em.gee. I am totally gonna get that dress to wear to the [insert sorority name here] tea-party next weekend!"
(Okay, I'm done with the quoting. Also, feel free to insert squeals and giggles wherever you please.)

I wondered, "What.the.heck?"
Why would all of these girls want to be carbon copies of each other?
Even the more appropriately dressed girls made me feel uncomfortable with their generic conversation and their girly-coated squeal-giggles.
But, more importantly, WHY the mini-dresses?

THEN it hit me.
Well, it didn't actually hit me. I just heard the compliments that were being ladled onto these girls.

"Chelsea, you look gorgeous."

"I love that dress, Becky."

"Hot shoes, stranger-girl!"

DUH! Why wouldn't these girls wear these scantily clad outfits and throw a on blazer over it?
Who wouldn't want to be spoon-fed confidence with every compliment given? Who wouldn't want to be a sexy sex-pot of sexiness?!
And SEX-SELLS.

I think I got one compliment that day (from someone I knew). But I wasn't looking for compliments. I was looking for a JOB.
Whenever I have gone to interviews, I have always dressed a little bit plainly.
I have never wanted to be hired based on how I look, I've wanted to be hired based on my qualifications or on my potential. I also never wanted a potential employer to look at me and think that I may be an inappropriate or poor representation of whatever company.
I think that may be what was lacking in the minds of those girls.
I don't want to say that's why they wore those dresses or short skirts.
Maybe they party so much that they don't actually own any other articles of clothing.
Man, maybe they even thought that they were dressed appropriately.

But maybe...somewhere, in the back of the mini-Kardashian's minds, they thought "I look HOT today. Maybe if I do accidentally say 'Today's NBC Show' instead of 'NBC's Today Show,' they'll overlook it because I am just so darn sexy."
And you know what, mini-Kardashian may just be right.
I mean, who do we see the most of in celebrity-ville? The sexy.
You don't see headlines in entertainment magazines titled "The super modest and appropriate dress Angelina Jolie wore!"
No, it's the "Sexy, sultry dress" that makes headlines.

So, sexy-sultry it is.

Hopefully, I have a shot at the news anchor position, even if my twins failed to make an appearance (and I'm not talking about children).

If either of the mini-Kardashians get it, I hope that it's because they were good, not because they were hot.

Prudy McPruderson (apparently), over and out.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment